Sunday, May 18, 2008

Participation or Observation?


As Part of the Missional syncroblog with Jonathan at Missio Dei, here is my contribution to the question, Why am I Missional?

My Dad hates Golf. He has consistently refused to have anything to do with it since I was a child. Despite my Dad's influence, I like golf. I enjoy a round of 18, I even enjoy going to the range to iron out the kinks in my swing. But for the life of me, I can't watch golf on TV. I've tried. But I get bored. I realized during the Master's that the main reasons I enjoy golf have absolutely nothing to do with graphite clubs and little white balls. I like golf for three reasons.
One, I enjoy being outside, enjoying God's creation, and golf courses are beautiful. Two, I enjoy exercising. I like walking around with a bag over my shoulder, keeping myself healthy.
Third, and most importantly, I enjoy the fellowship of friends hanging out. The friendly competition and rivalry we share has led us to get to know each other beyond the surface. Some of my best friendships developed over time spent competing.

In a weird way I think that the Kingdom of God is like golf.
I think that the way in which we live our lives reflects the way we view the Kingdom and the church. Am I missional when I am merely observing someone else do something hard? Or does it mean that I am missional when I actively participate in the redemptive story?

To answer the question, "Why am I missional?" I think it is important to look at the Mission of God. For me, the simple answer to why I am missional is this; I want to live within the redemptive mission of God on Earth. That said, I think it is important to develop what God's mission looks like. [I addressed this in more depth in a previous post.]
This is my attempt to represent the larger points of God's Mission.

Creation:
God created everything, seeking to glorify himself.

Fall:

Adam and Eve disobeyed God.
God punished their disobedience by breaking off the relationship they had to Him.
Even as God is sending them out to live in the world, he promises that he will send a redeemer.

Redemption:
God made a promise to Abraham that his people would fill the earth.
God used his people to demonstrate his power, authority and love.
God sent down his only son Jesus Christ to earth.
Christ was born of the Virgin Mary inaugurated the Kingdom of God.
Christ demonstrated what it means to perfectly love others and love God.
Christ was crucified, paying the penalty of death for all those who believe in him.
He was buried, and then He rose from the dead, declaring victory over death and sin.
Christ ascended to Heaven, and reigns over all.
God left his Holy Spirit here, to convict and guide us as we seek to work for the redemption of the world.
Christ commissioned his people to be ministers of reconciliation of Christ to the world.

Re-Creation:
Christ will return at a time of his choosing and will fulfill the Kingdom of God in the new city of Jerusalem.

This is his mission, that God created us to glorify himself through our relationship with him. We rebelled against him and were damned. Evil entered the world and we were left with the promise of a redeemer.
God began redemption with Adam and Eve, continued it through all the history of Israel, and fulfilled his promise with the Incarnation of Jesus Christ. Christ redeemed sinners at the cross, the Holy Spirit sustains us, and Christ will return to bring about the recreation of the perfect Natural order.

This is the Mission I am seeking to align my life with.
I don't want to be a spectator, watching from the sidelines as God does his work, I want to be in the action, swinging away.

The Other Syncrobloggers
--------------------------------------------------
Jeromy Johnson - Why I am Missional

Ben Wheatley - WWSBD

Bryan Riley - Jesus Was Missional

Jonathan Brink - Why I Am Missional

Blake Huggins - Why I Am Missional

Alan Knox - Demonstrating the Heart of God

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Kingdom of Heaven is like a golf course, it has holes in it?

Tim said...

Don't take the analogy too far Allen, I was referring to my desire to play the game, not merely watch it from the sidelines...
and I think you already knew that...

~tim

The Vision?

The vision is Jesus: obsessively, dangerously, undeniably Jesus.
The vision is an army of young people.
You see bones? They are an army.
And they are free from materialism. They laugh at the markets.
They hardly care! They wear clothes like costumes:
to show and to tell, but never to hide.
They know the meaning of the Matrix; the way the West was won.
They are mobile like the wind; they belong to the nations.
They need no passport.
People write their addresses in pencil and wonder at their strange existence.
They are free, yet they are slaves of the hurting and dirty and dying.

What is the vision?
The vision is holiness that hurts the eyes.
It makes children laugh and adults break and cry.
It scorns the good and strains for the best. It is dangerously pure.
This is an army that will lay down its life for the cause.
A million times a day its soldiers choose to lose that they might win, one day
the great "Well done" of faithful sons and daughters.
Such heroes are as radical on Monday morning as Sunday night.
They don't need fame from names. Instead they grin quietly upwards
and hear the crowds chanting again and again: "COME ON!"

And this is the sound of the underground
The whisper of history shaping
Foundations shaking
Revolutionaries dreaming once again
Mystery is screaming in whispers
Conspiracy is breathing...
This is the sound of the underground.

And the army is disciplined.
Young people who beat their bodies into submission.
Every soldier would take a bullet for his comrades at arms.
The tattoo on their backs boasts "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain."
Sacrifice fuels the fire of victory in their eyes.
Winners. Martyrs. Who can stop them?
Can failure succeed? Can fear scare them or death kill them?
And this generation prays like a dying man with groans beyond
talking, with warrior cries, sulphuric tears
Waiting. Watching: 24 - 7 - 365.
Whatever it takes they will give: Breaking the rules.
Shaking mediocrity from its cozy little hide.
Laying down their rights and their precious little wrongs,
laughing at labels, fasting essentials.

The advertisers cannot mold them.
Hollywood cannot hold them.
Peer-pressure is powerless
to shake their resolve
Material clothes matter not
Would they surrender their image or their popularity?
They would lay down their very lives,
swap seats with the man on death row;
guilty as hell.
A throne for an electric chair.
With blood and sweat and many tears,
with sleepless nights and fruitless days,
they pray as if it all depends on God
and live as if it all depends on them.


Their words make demons scream in shopping malls.
Don't you hear them coming?
Here come the frightened and forgotten, with fire in their eyes.
Their prayers summon the hounds of heaven and invoke the ancient dream of Eden.

And this is the sound of the underground
The whisper of history shaping
Foundations shaking
Revolutionaries dreaming once again
Mystery is screaming in whispers
Conspiracy is breathing...
This is the sound of the underground.